Jun 14, 2012

Mango Sorbet

 

Oooh. I am drooling as I am typing this. Yes. Really. ;-)

IMG_0352

So what does one do when one’s house is full of sweet smelling , very expensive Alphonsoes, and when the said one is the only person in the household to enjoy them? Well, that person will resort to extreme measures as freezing the fruit, though one has always believed that eating the mangoes fresh is the best way to eat them.

No? Yes. Indeed it is the best way. But this sorbet method is not bad either. In fact, this is now my second favourite method to eat a mango. :-D

IMG_0344

So when I realized that there is no way in hell I would be able to finish off all the mangoes the husband had ordered, in spite of sharing more than half of them with friends and family, I decided to preserve them, in the form of sorbet. I searched around the internet for some sorbet recipes, and chose this one. I didn’t quite adhere to the measurements, and noticed that the sorbet tastes great no matter what. So you can add as much sugar as you like and as much rum as you would. I also used the rum I had soaked the raisins in, to make the Christmas cake which never happened, and am glad I did so.

I know its a little too late in the season for mangoes, but if you lay your hands on some mangoes, I suggest you make this. You can thank me later :-)

IMG_0348

Recipe Courtesy – Annie’s Eats

Ingredients
Mangoes – 20 medium sized ripe ones, I used Alphonso
Sugar – 2 Cups
Dark Rum – 8 Tbsp
Lemon juice – juice of 8 lemons

Instructions
Peel the mangoes and dice them.
In a mixer-grinder, mix the mangoes and sugar together till it all becomes pulpy.
Mix in the lemon juice and rum.
Freeze this for 6-8 hours.

I grinded this mixture again in the mixer-grinder after a day. This gave the sorbet a velvety smooth texture. But if you can’t wait to taste this beauty, by all means, dig in. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...