Nov 17, 2012

Dark Chocolate Oatmeal… yummm!

Look at this… :-D

IMG_1284

Before I get on to the recipe, I have a question - Who likes oatmeal? :) No one?

My next question, who doesn’t like chocolate? The warm, gooey, drippy chocolate? Do I see some hands going up?Yeah, I thought so? :)

And how many of us know that oatmeal is healthy, but struggle with the idea of having it for breakfast ? Well, that’s me. :)

IMG_1278

So imagine my happiness when I bumped into this awesome Double Chocolate Oatmeal recipe at Pinch of Yum! It was healthy obviously, and I knew it had to taste heavenly.

IMG_1272

Yep, that melted dark chocolate. Now that I have wiped off the drool from my keyboard, I can proceed…

Some thought into how to make it completely eggless, and my craving for everything that has dark chocolate in it, and there… I had this beauty at my hands, all in less than 15 min. Yep, that fast, and that simple!

The oats are made to stay in hot water which also cooks them in a very less time. Melted dark chocolate also acts a binding agent to the oats. In addition to being awesomely tasty, it is also quite filling and satisfying, like a full meal!
What you have at your hands is a gooey, fudgy, a very yummy yet healthy breakfast. The chocolate taste lingers and makes your day, this time without guilt! :)
Once I figured out the recipe, I have it had as a late night dessert quite a few times… and relished every spoonful!

IMG_1276

Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum's Double chocolate oatmeal
Dark Chocolate Oatmeal
Level – Very Easy
Preparation time – 10-15 min

Ingredients [Serves 1]
Rolled oats – 3/4 C [I used Quakers Oats]
Dark chocolate chunk – 125 gm
Hot water – 1 C
Sugar – 1 Tsp
Salt – 1/2 Tsp
Dried fruits/nuts – 1/2 C [Optional]
Cinnamon powder – 1/2 Tsp [Optional]
Chocolate chips – 1/4 C [Optional]

Instructions
Mix the hot water and oats in a bowl, add sugar and salt to this and close the bowl. Let this sit for 5-7 min or till the oats are cooked.
While this is cooling , chop the Dark chocolate chunks in much smaller pieces and microwave them 2-3 times in bursts of 20 seconds each. Take care to not burn the chocolate. Alternately, you can use the double-boiler method of melting the chocolate.
Mix the melted chocolate with the cooked oats.
Mix in the nuts/dried fruits , cinnamon and chocolate chips, and let this stay for 2 min.
Serve warm, along with a glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...