Oct 19, 2015

Masala Chick Peas Sundal


Hey there! Those 2 visitors of mine, that still have hope that I might've posted something new :-)

So, I've done some introspection and realized that the reason for me not blogging is the pressure on getting hits and hence the need to shoot great pics, and socialize this on various sites. In all this time that I haven't blogged, I realized that I search my blog for various recipes that I wanted to make one more time! That was the eureka moment for me! I wasn't enjoying food photography, and I was pressurized into taking good food shots! So...

The Meal Algorithm V2.0 will not attempt at any of those above items! Am not going to be bothered about the various sites and my photo getting listed there. In fact, I might not even shoot with my SLR anymore. Phone camera, Insta with tags for me to be able to search them, Tweet at the same time to let interested folks know, and last and least, if you are interested, you can subscribe to the feed which will send you the post as soon as I post it.
This means that I only have to write down the ingredient list, shoot with my phone camera and post it on this blog and Insta. I should be good and done! Lets see how long it lasts! :)

Do one of these, and you'll be notified everytime I post a recipe - Subscribe to the RSS feed, follow me on Instagram or Twitter.

However, the kind of recipes I post here will not change. They'll be vegetarian, healthy, more so for those of us who work out, and will have a twist I might add if am adapting. Yes, I'll continue giving credits if am adapting, and no, I might not be posting frequently.
[Read above paragraph to know what to do to be notified about new posts]

Now that this is the Navratri, Sundal or Guggillu season is officially here. I love lentils, because they are a great source of protein. And I'd love to experiment with various methods to cook them, coz its boring to eat the same sundal over and over again, with a change of lentils. I came across this great set of Sundal recipes in Times Of India the other day, and am going to try them all, with various lentils, and methods that'll give various tastes.

Here's one.




 

 

 

 

Masala Chick-Pea Sundal

Prep time - 8 hours, to soak the chick peas, overnight
Cooking time - 5 min, if the masala powder is handy

Ingredients

For the masala

Coriander seeds - 1 Tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 Tbsp
Red chillis - 3-4
Chana dal - 1 Tbsp
Urad dal - 1 Tbsp

For the Sundal

Chick peas - 1C, soaked overnight, and pressure cooked with sufficient water for up to 3 whistles
Salt - To taste
Grated coconut - 1/2 C, dry or fresh
Cooking Oil - 1 Tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 3-4

Method

Dry roast all the ingredients for the masala. After it cools down, grind them together in a mixer-grinder.
[This masala can be made ahead in time and refrigerated. That will reduce the cooking time drastically. ]
In a thick bottomed pan, heat the oil, and add the mustard seeds. After they splutter, add the curry leaves, and the cooked chick peas.
Add the ground masala to this, and mix well, to ensure that the chick peas are coated with the masala.
Sprinkle the grated coconut on this, and mix enough to make sure that the coconut is well spread.
Best served warm.

Notes

1. Obviously, you can use any masala that you fancy instead of this one here.
2. I considered adding jaggery to the masala when I was making the sundal. It would've added a slightly sticky texture, and added another element of taste here
3. Again, obviously, you can make this with any kind of lentil, cooked ahead per its method of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...