Jun 9, 2011

Oatmeal Cranberry cookies

 

What do you get when you put a woman in a house full of dried fruit and similar baking stuff (Thank you, US trip! :)). Add a hint of not-bad-but-good-loneliness , some boredom , a happy mood and a huge appetite for eating good food to the situation. Yes, you get Oatmeal cranberry cookies, with dark chocolate chips in it!

I got a lot of dried fruit stuff from US this month, a friend got me SilPat, and I was itching to make something. Bake some cookies may be, and make them healthy so I can eat them as a mid-meal-snack without feeling guilty. 

Today looked perfect. As I returned home from work, I saw that the weather was good, and after the almost-hurricane-like-wind, it was cool gentle breeze flowing into the house, I was reading a book sitting on the couch and thought, why not today!

A quick search for a Oatmeal cranberry cookie recipe led me to one of my favourite food-blogs – Madhuram (the name means sweet in Telugu). I checked that I had all the ingredients at hand. Since the intention was to get an eggless one and not a vegan recipe (I still am miles away from turning into one!) , I made some minor changes to the original recipe.

IMG_8049

Ingredients

75 gms butter (I used 3/4 off the 100gm Amul butter bar)
1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup milk
1 cup whole wheat Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
3 cups Quick Cooking Oats
1 cup Dried Cranberries
1 cup dark chocolate chips (Optional, but then who doesn't like chocolate!)

Yeah yeah, I know that’s a lot of butter for someone who is on a perennial lose-weight-diet, but then I didn’t say I wanted a fat-free recipe. I wanted a healthy one. :-P

Instructions

Pre-heat the oven at 185C and meanwhile mix up the ingredients.

Cream the butter, and add the sugars to it. Once its well blended, add the vanilla extract and milk and mix well.
Sieve the flour well with baking soda and cinnamon powder, and mix this into the butter mixture.
Now add the oats, cranberries and chocolate chips to this and mix.

Make 1-rupee-sized balls of this cookie dough and press them slightly on the greased cookie sheet with a fork. I generally use parchment paper on my cookie sheet, and I had the Silpat also today.

Bake for at least 12mins at 185 C , if you want them slightly crunchy let it stay for 14mins.

Take them off the oven, and wait till they cool. And if you are like me who cannot wait, please let your teeth dig into the cookies! :-)

Photo_B699D2E8-ACD0-71F1-6685-689086F95767

Now that I think of it, I have started to feel guilty about all that butter. But what the heck. Remember, I told I am a happy soul these days, and I deserve some butter! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...