Dec 2, 2011

Banana Blueberry Cake

By now, I guess its no secret that bananas are my favourite fruit-to-bake, right? Well… turns out they are indeed my favourite, its a pleasant surprise. I have begun treat it like a comfort bake. Anytime I want to bake something and I can’t think what , I go over to Banana. Muffin, Marble bread or cake . With chocolate chips, milk chocolate or melted chocolate. With cinnamon, vanilla, brandy or rum. I feel I’ve baked them all. And yet I go back to searching for more banana based recipes. I went through all the sites I bookmarked to find this one by The Singing Chef. I wanted to use up the blueberries I got from my US trip, and that leftover small batch of rum-soaked raisins, also the cream and condensed milk from the Bailey’s experiment were in the fridge asking to be used.

And yes, it had to be eggless. So I adapted the recipe to suit the ingredients I had at hand.

So after The Great Kitchen Shopping Escapade I had at Agro Mech over the weekend, I wanted to use my new stuff. Those mini Bundt's and that one big Bundt pan, to be precise. I decided to make a Bundt cake – Banana Blueberry Bundt Cake with rum soaked raisins , it is!

IMG_0017

Recipe CourtesyThe Singing Chef

Ingredients
1 3/4 cup Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Raisins (soaked overnight in dark rum)
1/4 cup Blueberries
2 Bananas (overripe), peeled and mashed
3 tbsp Milkmaid/condensed milk
1/3 cup Oil
2 tbsp Yogurt
2 tbsp thick cream

2 tbsp Rum (optional, better if it is the rum from the rum-soaked raisins)

IMG_0005


Instructions
Preheat the oven to 185C and sift the dry ingredients together.
Oil and dust the pan with flour.
Beat together the mashed bananas, cream, yogurt, condensed milk, sugar, and oil.
Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and fold in the raisins.
Gently mix in the rum, if using.
Bake for 45-50 mins or till a skewer comes out clean.

This being my first time baking in a Bundt pan, and me not being sure how to use butter paper for a Bundt pan, I was very worried about the cake coming out clean. Surprisingly, all I had to do was cut through the edges of the pan gently with a knife, invert the pan to a plate and beat the bottom of the pan. And the cake was sitting pretty on the plate. I loved the flavours in this, the rum soaked raisins, the blueberries and the faint taste of bananas. Next time I make this, I am going to add in a few drops of Brandy flavour also. Or increase the rum content. And think of a nice topping/icing for this cake, may be rum-chocolate-based.

You can have slices of this cake for chai. You can also eat it with jam, for breakfast, may be. Or team it with the chocolate peanut butter and eat. I am going to do all of these with this cake. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...