Mar 12, 2012

Pappu + Pulusu

 What I ate this weekend has to be one of the most sumptuous meals I’ve eaten in a long long time. My friend, Deepu served me Mudda Pappu with Pulusu, thus awakening my taste buds to a whole new taste. What she made must be a typical Telangana preparation, which is why the Pulusu I ate before was nothing like this one.

IMG_9652

This morning I asked her to send me the recipe so I can make it too, and she promptly SMSed me the whole recipe.
This is a great way to incorporate a healthy amount of dal into your meal, and some vegetables cooked with flavour, especially for people like me who are always on a lookout for a different way to eat the same old boring vegetables.
Onions and Sesame is the base for the pulp in this dish, and sometimes, like it has happened to me, the sesame seeds do not grind themselves properly. I guess that is okay, because they add a different texture to the dish. Also, depending on how you like the taste of the Pulusu, you can increase or decrease the quantity of both tamarind and jaggery.
Ingredients [Serves 3]
Onions – 2 , medium sized, cut into inch sized pieces
Vegetables of your choice – 1 C, chopped in inch sized pieces
Sesame seeds – 2 Tbsp
Ginger – 1 inch piece, chopped
Garlic – 8 cloves
Tamarind paste – 2 Tbsp
Jaggery – grated, 2 Tbsp
Water – 3 C

Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard oil or any vegetable oil for cooking – 1 Tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 Tbsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Methi powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Instructions
Grind one onion with the sesame seeds in a mixer/grinder to a thick paste.
Grind the garlic and ginger pieces together in a mortar-pestle. Alternatively you can use ginger-garlic paste.
In a deep bottomed pan, heat the oil, and add the cumin and mustard seeds to it. Sauté the remaining onions till they are golden brown, and add the ginger-garlic paste to this. Add the vegetables to this and mix well. Sauté this on a low flame for 2-3 min. Add the tamarind paste, jaggery and water to the pan.
Add salt, turmeric , chilli , coriander and methi powders to this and mix well. Boil the pulusu till the vegetables are tender and are cooked.
Serve hot with rice, ghee and Mudda Pappu [Boiled & Tempered Toor Dal].

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...