Apr 9, 2012

Peanut Butter–Homemade

One of these days I am going to run a poll on FB and Twitter – the question is going to be – ‘Who doesn’t love Peanut Butter?’. And I am going to convince those who don’t like PB that its the best thing that has happened to mankind. Yes, I believe it is! Try it with jam for bread for an awesome breakfast. Use it as a frosting for cakes. Make brownies with this. And cookies… ummm… In short, PB is truly the best thing that has happened to mankind. :)

IMG_9830

Well , for someone who is as crazy about PB as I am, its kind of strange that I did not know how PB tastes for the first 27 yrs of my life. I ensured that I made up for all the lost time, but yeah, the first time I tasted PB, I felt I was slipping into heaven – Peanut heaven, and I wanted to stay there. I was shuttling between HK and India then, and the only thing I ate during my time in India was PB + Jam with bread. That is how much I loved it.

Now, to the post… As tasty as PB is, I also feel it is slightly on the expensive side, if one has to buy it and use it in brownies or cookies. I also was never comfortable with the ingredients the manufacturers add to preserve the PB for as long as 2 years, so I decided to make my own PB. Atleast, I attempted to. And yes, the first attempt was a grand success!

I can now make healthy, preservative-free peanut butter at anytime and I don’t even have to shell out big bucks! There are tons of recipes on the internet for Homemade Peanut butter, I read them all, and modified the easiest one I found. You can make chunky or smooth peanut butter from this recipe, and add as much sweetness to this as you want. I also did not have peanut oil handy, so I used regular vegetable cooking oil.

Recipe InspiredFood Network

Ingredients[Yields 3/4 C Peanut Butter]
Peanuts – 1 C, roasted and de-skinned
Vegetable oil – 2 Tbsp
Honey – 2 Tbsp

Method
Grind the roasted and de-skinned peanuts in a mixer-grinder till it becomes a smooth powder. Now add the vegetable oil and honey to this, and grind it all together, for another 2 mins.

Transfer the contents into an airtight container, and store in the refrigerator for. This will stay for a month.

If you like chunky peanut butter, grind only 3/4 C of the peanuts into a smooth powder, and just pulse the rest of the peanuts for 20 sec. Now add the oil and honey and grind for a min.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...