May 3, 2012

Cardamom Cookies … easiest ever!

Last week, I had some family visiting for tea, and had nothing at home to serve them. I wasn’t in a mood for regular chocolate cookies and since I had already made some shortbread cookies, was looking for something sweet to pair with the tea and those savoury cookies. Some flipping through my archives and visiting some blogs gave me Nags’ recipe for Almond Cardamom cookies.

IMG_0020


Since I didn’t have almonds at hand, and had no patience to run to the store, I decided to substitute them with sunflower seeds , which worked great. To give a slight almond flavour, I used some pure almond extract. Also, the original recipe had way too much butter in it, which I reduced slightly, to fit my ideal butter measure, a 100gm butter bar. :-)

Recipe Courtesy – Nags’ Edible Garden
Ingredients [Makes ~4 dozen coin sized cookies]
Butter – 100 gm, at room temperature
AP Flour – 1.5 C
Cardamom seed powder – 1 Tsp
Sunflower seeds – 1/2 C
Sugar – 3/4 C
Salt – 1/4 Tsp
Almond extract – 1/2 Tsp
Thick cream – 1 Tbsp

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 185 C.
Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the cream, almond extract and mix well.
Sieve the flour , cardamom seed and salt together.
Mix the dry and wet ingredients till they mix just enough. Fold in the sunflower seeds.
Divide into equal coin sized balls, and flatten gently.
Bake for 20 min or till the the cookies turn golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack and serve.

These cookies keep well in an airtight container for up to a week.

I am submitting this recipe and photo for the B&W Wednesday event which Siri is hosting. And hence, I just modified the same pic to B&W, and yes… I love the results…

IMG_0020

What do you think? :-)

4 comments:

  1. i'd wanted to check this with lesser butter. glad you did the work for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With less butter or not I do not think they are going to sit around very long at all..

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...