Feb 19, 2013

A beauty called Shahi Tukda…

Also known as Double ka Meetha , Shahi Tukda is a typical Nawabi dessert, served at most Hyderabadi weddings and functions.

Shahi Tukda - 1

However, I’ve been led to believe that  these two – Double ka Meetha & Shahi Tukda have slightly different methods of preparation.

Dad’s hotelier friends have always told me that the former just means twice the amount of sugar than the bread. Another friend’s Dad once told me that there is a particular bakery in Old City that makes the Double roti, which is kept aside for a week and then used in the dessert. Well, one of these days, am going to try making Double Ka Meetha… that’s when I’ll know for myself which of these is true! :)

Shahi Tukda - 5

Till then, I’ll have to make do with the easier version of this awesome dessert… the Shahi Tukda. The first time I had this was in Hotel Golkonda a decade ago… it was smelling of roses and was so sweet and heavy that I couldn’t eat anything for the rest of the day… and I loved it!

Shahi Tukda - 2

I didn’t think about making it myself till about a week ago, when this was served at an office-meeting [Yeah, they serve awesome food like this where I work, sometimes for snacks! :)]

So here it is… recipe to one of my all-time favorite desserts.

Shahi Tukda - 3

Hyderabadi Shahi Tukda
Level - Easy
Preparation time - 45 min
Serves 4-8 people
Recipe courtesy – Various sources (friends & reading up on the internet)

Ingredients
Milk - 500 ml [I used full cream milk]
Condensed milk - 100 ml (I used Amul Milkmaid)
Sugar - 1/4 C
Saffron strands - a pinch
Bread slices - 4, cut in triangles [I used brown bread]
Ghee(clarified butter) - 4 Tbsp

Instructions
Bring the milk to a boil and let it be on heat till its quantity is reduced to 3/4 of the original quantity, stirring it frequently all the way.
Add the condensed milk and sugar to this.
Continue stirring this milk mixture and let this be on heat for another 15 min on a low flame.
Meanwhile toast the triangulated bread slices on a flat pan, by applying ghee to it.
Be careful to not roast the slices, but to slightly toast it by applying ghee on both sides.
Add saffron strands to the milk and take this off heat.
Prepare the Shahi Tukda by assembling the toasted bread slices and pouring the prepared milk over it in a shallow pan. You will have to alternate the bread and milk if the pan is not broad enough.
Let this dessert stay in the fridge for at least 2 hrs before serving.
Serve cold.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so easy and looks incredibly yum, but the two-hour wait would be very difficult!!! I would need to eat it straight out of the pan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I actually did it. But the wait is worth it. The slices would be soaked and yummy! :D

      Delete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...