May 19, 2013

Hummus, the Ethiopian way

Hummus is a beauty that goes well with almost anything – bread, rotis, or as a dip, and is an all-time favourite even in our highly-Indian-food-loved household.

IMG_2577

When I soaked the chick-peas the other night, I had something else in mind… trying out the Ethiopian Hummus.
Now, I haven’t eaten that before or even heard about it, had it not been for a friend who messaged me on my FB page asking for a recipe for this. Some reading up pointed me to some recipes and the story behind Berbere mix, and this link which had a
good recipe.

IMG_2566

Most sites talk about both Berbere and Ras-el-hanout mixes being similar to each other , except that the former is very spicy and the latter has the spices roasted before being ground, at least per the recipes I followed and used.

The Meal Algorithm

Some customizations I made to the prescribed Berbere mix - Since I treat both paprika and cayenne pepper powders alike, I used red chilli powder for that. I omitted the Allspice powder altogether and added Sumak, which I totally love.
So this is not really Berbere mix in its true essence, but is very close to it.

IMG_2574

Some recipes recommend adding some onion powder to this mix, but I chose to add a few onion pieces to my hummus instead, which gave it a totally new taste.

IMG_2553

In any case, the hummus tasted awesome, and we enjoyed it with pita bread! 

IMG_2560

Hummus, the Ethiopian way

Serves – 6, for sandwich
Preparation time – 10 min
Level – Easy

Ingredients
Chick peas – 1 C, soaked in water overnight and boiled in a pressure cooker
Lemon juice – 3 Tbsp
Garlic cloves – 5-6 Cloves
Onions – ½, medium sized, inch pieces
Tahini paste – 1 Tbsp [Optional]
Berbere seasoning mix – 2 Tbsp, for seasoning
Sesame seeds – 1 Tbsp, for garnish
Salt – To taste

Instructions
Mix all but the seasoning mix in a blender till a smooth, thick paste is formed.
After the chickpeas are ground to a thick paste, mix in the Berbere spice mix.

IMG_2518

Berbere seasoning mix

Serves – a lot more than just a batch of Hummus
Preparation time – 10 min, to assemble all the ingredients
Level – Easy

Ingredients
Red chilli powder - 3 Tbsp
Cardamom powder - 1 Tbsp
Coriander powder - 1 Tbsp
Fenugreek powder - 1 Tbsp
Cinnamon powder - 1 Tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 Tbsp
Black pepper, ground - 1 Tbsp
Dry Ginger, ground – ½ Tbsp
Nutmeg, ground – ½ Tbsp
Sea salt - 1 Tbsp (or to taste)
Cloves, ground - 5-6
Sumak – ½ Tbsp

Instructions
Mix all the ingredients together, and store in a cool dry container.

11 comments:

  1. What an interesting take on Hummus! I love it!! The Berbere seasoning mix sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it does. I still have some left, and am planning to use in a regular Indian curry :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love hummus! I eat it nearly every day, and my partner is well known for polishing off an entire tub on in evening... So a way to spice things up a bit, sounds very interesting! I'll be sure to check this out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Its easy to finish a tub of Hummus on an evening, no? Its guilt-free, healthy and is an excellent dip too... Do try it with the spice mix, am sure your partner will love that too! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Preethi!

    We've recently launched the site Recipes.in where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from Indian food sites and blogs.

    We noticed that you have a great number of tasty recipes on your blog and would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here, where you can add your own blog: http://www.recipes.in/top-food-blogs

    Our concept is already live in 36 countries, the US, Mexico, UK, France and Spain amongst others. We deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive 10,000+ visitors from us on a weekly basis.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Warm regards,

    Recipes.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you make Pita Bread ? recipe somewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arey nahi... I bought it from Ratnadeep, Madhapur.

      Delete
  5. I dont understand when do we mix the Berbere Mix in the hummus. You mentioned "Mix all but the seasoning mix in a blender till a smooth, thick paste is formed" - so after we get the hummus paste, we add the Berbere mix separately ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corrected this mistake. Thanks for pointing out. :)

      Delete
  6. I loved this recipe yet I needed to change it for what I had.I utilized 3 cups canned chickpeas,unsalted and unroasted sunflower seeds, and I heated up the seeds in enough water to cover.I then emptied them and pureed with enough water to make a glue before including whatever is left of the fixings.We loved it!! Ideal for Ethiopian food night.@Janet Parker.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...