Feb 26, 2012

Sugar-less Date-n-Nut roll


“Don’t ask any questions and come to my desk. NOW”, my friend J [she likes to be called Mumbai_Chef :-)] pinged me on IM. The events of the last week were very exciting for both her and me, and there were many such “Come to my desk NOW” moments, but little did I know that I was in for a sweet treat.
I’ve always known that she is a wonderful cook and a baker. When I tasted her Undhiyu last year, I gasped, died and landed in Food Heaven.

IMG_9349

But when I tasted her sugar-less-date-and-nut-roll last week, I knew I was IN Food Heaven, and alive, coz the very next minute I told her that she HAD to post a recipe of this one. And that was how this post came into being.
Ladies & Gentlemen, presenting the first ever guest post on this blog by the lady herself, my very dear friend, Mumbai_Chef…

If you are anything like me, you love to eat anything sweet! I have a major sweet tooth. I also am health conscious :-)
So, to help me handle my guilt of eating too much sugar…here is my favourite which is “good for your waist line” and “guilt-free snacking”.
This awesome looking, heavenly tasting recipe was shared by my sister!

Ingredients
Seedless dates - 2 C, finely chopped
Almonds - 1 C, coarsely chopped
Pistachio - 1 C, coarsely chopped
Walnuts - 1 C, coarsely chopped

Instructions
Heat 1 tsp ghee in a vessel.
Add chopped dates and mixed till the mixture is “malleable”
Add nuts and mix them well in dates.
Make a log of the mixture, roll in desiccated coconut
Roll this log in a foil and freeze it for 10 mins
Cut in slices and enjoy!


IMG_9357

Note:
1. J’s son is not a great fan of anything rolled in desiccated coconut, so she skipped that step altogether for these rolls.
2. To chop the nuts and dates, you can just pulse them once in a mixer grinder
3. This recipe belongs to J entirely. All I did was to land up at her house, shoot some pretty pics, and eat a lot of these rolls. :-)

5 comments:

  1. haha, there's a similar nut-date recipe from middle-east and the sugar in dates is healthy, so it's cool. :)
    Not that I've tried it, just eaten. This looks great in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made these in ladoo form. I had dried fig also in the mixture. I can tell from the pictures the date and nut roll must taste divine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! I'm desperate for an authentic undhiyu recipe, could you lobby for J to pen that down next? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~Rads - Try it. :)

    ~SliceOfMyLyfe - oh yes... they were awesome. Ladoo form is good too, no, we wouldnt have to go through the trouble of slicing them :)

    ~Deepti - Yes yes. I've already asked her to teach me how to make Undhiyu. Recipe should be up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely recipe...how long will they last? do they become melty when out of the fridge? can i freeze them and carry them on an overnight trip?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...