Jul 22, 2012

Eggless Blueberry muffins

I hadn’t baked muffins in a long time. Actually, after a few baking disasters ( I screwed up two birthday cakes that I had promised two friends :-( ), I haven’t touched the baking tin … Its been too long, and this morning I felt like baking. It was like re-entering the baking arena, so I wanted to start with something small - muffins it was…

IMG_0650

These muffins were fluffy, yet slightly heavy because of the whole wheat flour. The blueberries added to the texture, and the muffins would serve the purpose, a healthy snack at tea-time.

IMG_0649

I converted this recipe to eggless and change the proportion of the flour a bit as I was using whole-wheat flour entirely. The idea was to make something healthy, something I could carry as a snack to office and eat without feeling guilty. Also, since I was using dried blueberries, I soaked them in water for about 30 min before I set out to start making muffins, and sieved them just before mixing them into the batter. If you are using frozen blueberries or fresh ones, you can skip this step.

IMG_0642

Recipe inspired from – Joy of Baking
Ingredients [Yields 12 medium sized muffins]

Whole Wheat flour – 1 3/4 C
Baking powder – 1 1/2 Tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 Tsp
Salt – 1 Tsp
Sugar – 1/2 C
Blueberries – 1 C, Dried, fresh or frozen
Plain yogurt – 1 C (I used thick curd)
Condensed milk or Nestle Milkmaid – 1/4 C (Use one egg if using eggs)
Vegetable oil – 1/3 C
Vanilla extract – 1 Tsp

Instructions
Line the muffin tin with muffin cups, and pre-heat the oven to 185C.
Sieve the flour along with the baking powder, soda and salt.
Mix the oil, condensed milk, yogurt and vanilla extract in a bowl. Beat well to mix them all thoroughly.
Add sugar to the wet mixture and mix well.
Pour the blueberries into this mixture, mix just once.
Now add the flour mixture, and mix just enough. Do not overwork this batter.
Pour one scoop or two spoons of this batter into the muffin cups.
Bake for 25 min, or till a tester comes out clean.

This measure gave me 12 medium sized muffins. These would stay well for 3 days in an airtight container in a refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...