Jul 18, 2012

Homemade Pop-corn

I love pop-corn. Well, who doesn’t, tell me?

IMG_0622

As kids, much before Act-II made the instant pop-corn famous, the only time we would get to eat pop-corn was in movie theatres, and I remember very well that my friends would buy me an extra packet of pop-corn… always…

IMG_0625

Act-II made it easy to make pop-corn at home with its sachets, and making pop-corn at home from scratch always seemed like a big deal to me. Inspiration struck when I read the GoodFood article on pop-corn and how you can customize pop-corn to suit your taste. I decided to give a try to make some homemade pop-corn.

Ingredients:
Corn – dried, 1/4 C
Salt – 1 Tsp
Cooking Oil/Butter – 1 Tsp
Garam Masala / Curry powder – 2 Tsp, optional

Instructions
Heat the oil in a deep bottomed pan. Add corn to this once its heated, and sauté this for 2 min on medium flame.
Add salt and the garam masala powder, if using to this, all the while keeping an eye open for the corn which might pop anytime.
Close the pan with its lid , leaving a small gap for the steam to escape.
Move the pan to ensure the heat is evenly spread.
At this point, you should start hearing the corn popping. Keep the pan moving till the time between the pops increase.
Transfer to another bowl and serve.

Best served when its raining, at tea-time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...