Aug 27, 2012

Chilli cornbread, with some Indian flavors

The other day, I reached home to an almost empty fridge with a rumbling stomach and a desire to make something quick for a snack. After having read Siri’s recipe for the cornbread, I was craving for some , and set out to make my own…

Chilli cornbread, for the stews

I changed the recipe to be eggless, and added my choice of spices to this, however, the main idea of the bread is from Siri’s blog, from this recipe. Also, I baked this as a flat bread instead of as muffins, but they taste the same no matter what… delicious!

This is a perfect light bread which can be baked in a short time, and is so versatile that it can be eaten as a snack by itself or can be clubbed with any stews or as a side dish for any European bakes.

Chilli cornbread

Recipe adapted from – Cooking with Siri

Chilli cornbread, with Indian flavours

Preparation time – 15 min
Baking time – 30 min
Level – Easy

Ingredients

Cornmeal flour or Makai ka ata - 3/4 C
Whole wheat flour - 1/2 C
Baking soda - 1/2 Tsp
Baking Powder - 1/2 Tsp
Sea Salt - 1 Tsp
Coriander + Mint - 1/4 C, tightly packed
Cumin powder - 1/2 Tsp
Green chillies - 2 , finely chopped
Onion - 1, medium sized, finely chopped – Optional
Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
Buttermilk - 1 C
Water / Milk – 1/3 C, if required

Instructions

Sieve cornmeal flour and whole wheat flour along with baking soda, powder and salt and keep aside.
Mix all the rest of the ingredients thoroughly.
Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients . Do not over mix. Add water/milk if required till the batter gets to pouring consistency.
Pour into a greased or butter-paper-lined bread pan and bake for 30 min in a preheated oven.
Once tester comes out clean, serve hot.

I served this with tomato ketchup, but I plan to serve this with some veg stews next time. This bread keeps well in the fridge, so it is a great idea for office snacks. This can be prepared well ahead in time and served when you have guests also.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely delicious. I am gonna try this way as a bread the next time around. Thanks for trying the recipe babes. I made it from Arundathi's Escapades blog :-)

    P.S - I have some exciting news for you in just a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...