Aug 29, 2012

Quick cauliflower salad

Do you love veggies, the crunch in them, their taste as they are and how they look ? Well… I do. I love the crunch of the uncooked vegetables, and how they look as they are… in all their natural glory and colour!

Cauliflower salad with Thyme and Garlic

That is why when Nandita first talked about this salad, the veggie-lover in me was excited. The simplicity in making this salad, the time it takes to be put together and how it tastes made it a favourite. But not until I saw Siri’s recipe of a cauliflower salad, did I realize I never blogged this one, my ever-favourite.

Cauliflower salad, served with Javavana Mate tea

It takes exactly 5 min to assemble everything you need for this salad, 5 min to prep it up and another 5 min for it all to settle … that’s it. An awesome, super-healthy, cauliflower salad in 15 min. And even if you are not a lover of this flower, I bet you’ll fall in love once you taste this one. In my opinion, Thyme and Garlic are suited best in terms of flavour for this one, but I guess you could experiment with the accompanying flavours. The main idea behind the cauliflower florets is that they are blanched, not cooked – blanched in hot water just enough to remove the raw smell in them, but not so much that it cooks the vegetable.

Cauliflower salad , for tea time

Tea-time snack, or as an appetizer or as a meal by itself, I felt this salad can do all these jobs with élan … ;-)

Recipe by – Nandita of Saffron Trail

Cauliflower with Thyme and Garlic
Prep time – 5 min
Cooking time – 5 min
Level – Easy

Ingredients
Cauliflower florets – 2 C, cleaned
Dried Thyme – 1 Tbsp
Garlic – 5-6 cloves, minced
Sea Salt – 1 Tsp
Olive oil – 1 Tsp

Instructions
Prepare the cauliflower florets by pouring hot water and salt on them, so that all the florets are immersed in hot water. Close the lid of this bowl and keep aside.
Heat the oil in the pan and add the garlic to this. Once garlic is sautéed and gives out the aroma, add thyme to this and keep on heat for a min.
Meanwhile, drain out the hot water from the cauliflower florets and add the florets to the pan.
Mix so that all the florets are coated with the sautéed thyme and garlic.
Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. Been wondering how to use up the thyme I have and how to get the boys to eat my favourite flower. This one looks promising!

    - Soumya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. If they have a thing for crunch, you can add some nuts to this to spruce it up.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...