Oct 13, 2017

Cold not-sesame noodles Salad

No, even I don't know why this is named this way... I simply got inspired for this salad from the NY Times salad article and went ahead with it. :-)
Cold not-sesame noodles
However, the name makes this salad feel very exotic, at least to me ;-) If you love peanut butter, you will definitely LOVE the idea of this dressing. What's not to like about peanut butter mixed with soya sauce? :-)
Cold not-sesame noodles
I went with a thick dressing for this salad, because thinning this dressing would mean adding more coconut milk or hot water, both of which I didn't want to do for the fear of losing out on the flavor of the soya and peanut butter together. But once I tasted this salad, I was glad I didn't thin the dressing. I liked it thick and like a paste, but if a thin dressing is what interests you, go ahead and use coconut milk or hot water.
Cold not-sesame noodles
Also, this recipe actually calls for coconut milk. Since stocking coconut milk at home is not always possible (this coming from a Mangalorean is almost a sacrilege! ;-))
Cold not-sesame noodles
Cold not-sesame noodles saladPreparation time – 20 min, including time taken to cut the vegetables
Serves – 1
Level – Medium

Ingredients
Wheat noodles – 1 nest [I used Blue dragon wheat noodles]
Zucchini – 1/2, cut in long thin strips
Bell peppers – 1, cut in long thin strips [I used one half of both red and yellow bell peppers]
Cauliflower florets – 1/2 C, cleaned and blanched
Mint leaves – a couple, for garnish
Coriander leaves – a handful , for garnish

For the dressing
Peanut butter – 1/4 C
Soya sauce – 1 Tbsp
Garlic – 5-6 cloves, cut in small pieces
Red chilli flakes – 1 Tsp
Lemon juice – juice from half a lemon
Desiccated Coconut – 1/4 C [Alternately use, 1 Tbsp of coconut milk]
Mustard oil – 1 Tbsp

Instructions
Whisk all the dressing ingredients together to form a thick paste. If you want to thin the paste, add some hot water to get the required consistency.

Cook the noodles per the instructions on the box. Mine were cooked in 2 min. Drain the water from the noodles and keep this under running water for 2 min. Drain and keep aside
Toss the noodles along with the veggies and the dressing.
Garnish and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...