Nov 1, 2011

Banana muffins… finally!


If you’ve been to this blog before, am sure you would’ve noticed my love for any dish which involves Bananas.
As a kid, I wasn’t a great fan of the fruit. And any mention of the word Banana would ensure that I run 500 ft away from the spot. As a grown up, I would eat it only for its high potassium content , but with a grimace on my face. But as a baker, am in love with this wonderful fruit.

How can you not? Mashed bananas are such an awesome way to introduce some fruit into the dish. Coupled with walnuts, they are awesome in a cake. Add chocolate chips to this, and there, you have a perfect dessert. Cake, bread, muffins… everything that has bananas in it tastes awesome.

So when this friend insisted that I bake something for her little boy, something healthy and with fruit in it, I decided to go for it. Banana muffins. I had baked banana bread a zillion times. Banana marble cake another zillion times, and banana cake was a regular till I decided to not make it for fear of not liking it after over-exposure.  But muffins, I hadn’t. I guess the banana muffin idea sprang up after the decision to not make any more banana based stuff. But for this little boy, I decided to go back on the no-banana-decision. And boy, am I glad I did that! With this, banana has made an official return to my kitchen :)

IMG_0323

Simplest of the recipes, takes only 30 mins to put together and another 30 minutes to bake and cool, this is just the perfect way to start a day. Or end it, if you love having a little sweet snack after dinner, like me. :)

IMG_0332

Recipe

Ingredients

All purpose Flour – 3/4 Cup [I mixed AP flour with multi-grain flour]
Vegetable oil – 1/4 Cup
Bananas – 2 , mashed with a fork till they are liquidy
Sugar – 1/3 Cup
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Vanilla extract – 1/4 tsp
Choco chips – 1/3 cup
Chopped walnuts – 1/6 cup

Instructions

Mix the sugar and oil to the mashed bananas and mix well. Add the vanilla extract to this and keep aside.

Sieve the flour with the baking powder and soda

Mix the dry with the wet ingredients gently, ensuring you don’t over mix this. Add the choco-chips to this mixture and fold in.

With a spoon, pour this batter into the muffin cups lined in the muffin tray. Ensure that the cups are 3/4 full.

Bake in a preheated oven at 185 C for 25-30 mins, or till the skewer comes clean

IMG_0330

It was just perfect. The medley of almost-melted-chocolate-chips with walnuts, and the frequent banana pieces play on your tongue, as the entire muffin melts down. Yes, indeed that good ! Try it. and tell me if you don’t love it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...