Nov 22, 2011

Masala Milk

 

Every Sharad Purnima, this friend of mine hosts a fabulous dinner party for some friends of hers. We chit-chat a lot, eat dinner and have the masala milk , my favourite part. She reduces about 10 litres of milk to approximately 7 litres, adds a lot of spices that make the milk taste yummy and serves them hot. I fell in love with this milk the first time I had it, but never thought I should/could try it. This time, I stood by her when she was adding the masalas, pestered her for the recipe, promptly forgot it and came back home to try it.

IMG_0005

I am not sure if this is the recipe for the masala milk she served, but it tastes similar, and I love this taste. Now this is a regular in my after-Sunday-night-dinner menu. I reduce about 3/4 litre milk to be 1/2 litre, the exact measurement of my milk mug, sit with this in front of the TV or the computer and get on to work. My favourite part of the evening, it is.

Ingredients
3/4 litre milk
1 tbsp MTR Badam Milk powder
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsps nutmeg powder
1 tsp cardamom powder
2-3 strands saffron

Instructions
In a thick bottomed saucepan, heat the milk. Add the sugar, Badam milk powder, half the nutmeg, the cardamom powder and heat the milk. Keep the milk on the stove till it reduces to 1/2 litre. Let the cream on the milk mix into the milk again. (I know this adds to the fat content of the milk, but trust me, it makes the milk taste heavenly). Mix in the saffron strands, and boil the milk some more.
Pour it in the mug, garnish with the mug. Sit back and enjoy the milk.

2 comments:

  1. Hiya,
    Here are Tambli variations you might want to try.
    http://ramkicooks.blogspot.com/2008/07/1001-tambli-blended-coconut-sour-curry.html

    http://ramkicooks.blogspot.com/2008/07/1001-tambli-blended-coconut-sour-curry.html

    When you modify a recipe, it is yours. You do not need to credit / acknowledge me :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...