Nov 20, 2011

Carrot Muffins

 

Carrot muffins were on my head for a long time now, and when I bumped into this recipe, and saw the ingredients, all of which I had at hand, I had to try this. I just didn’t do the maple cream cheese frosting, and followed the recipe to the T except for the egg and apple sauce. I used coconut milk instead of apple sauce since I wanted to see if the slight coconut flavour would work with the carrots or not. Trust me, the coconut flavour worked as a perfect replacement for the apple sauce and yogurt always worked for me when I had to use eggs.

Recipe Courtesy Cilantrophist’s Recipe

IMG_0001

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
2 cups sugar
1 cup Coconut milk(I used the Dabur brand)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
8 tbsp thick yogurt
3 cups peeled, grated carrots
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

IMG_0003

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 185C and line the muffin tray with the muffin cups.
Whisk together the yogurt, coconut milk, sugar and the vegetable oil. Sieve together the flour, baking soda, salt and the spices.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just enough. Fold in the grate carrot.
Pour one scoop each into the muffin cups and decorate with the walnuts. Bake for 20 mins.

This yielded 16 muffins. Soft, surprisingly light and moist, these muffins were super for a after-dinner snack, which is what I did with half of them. Took them to work to accompany me and the team when we would be attending the late night call.
After filling out 12 muffins , I mixed some rum-soaked raisins, another half a cup of grated carrots (since I didn’t want to leave just that much in the refrigerator) and baked the rest of the 4 muffins. The muffins were dense , moist , delicious and smelled of rum, which was awesome, again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...