Jun 13, 2017

Pappu Chaaru

Over the past few months, I've taken a particular liking to Pappu chaaru, a simple, Andhra-dish, made with lentils and veggies. I hadn't eaten this before at all when I was in India, but once I ate this at a friend's place, I was hooked. I have to make it at least once a week and eat it with hot quinoa and ghee. Yeah, I know, it should be eaten with hot rice, but we do what we can do, no?

Here is the recipe that I've been using for this dish - Sailu's Food

Ingredients
Choice of veggies - 2 Cups (I use the frozen cut sambar-veggies, minus drumsticks. This is an assortment of eggplants, tomatoes, onions, carrots, French beans and okra. )
Cooked Dal - 1 C
Green chillis - 3-4
Turmeric powder - 1 Tsp
Tamarind paste - 2 Tbsp
Jaggery - 1/2 Tbsp
Water - 3-4 C
Salt - To taste

For the tempering
Ghee - 1 Tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 Tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 Tsp
Garlic cloves - 4-5, chopped coarse
Red chills - 3-4
Hing - 1 Tsp
Curry Leaves - 5-6

Coriander leaves - 2 Tbsp

Instructions
Mix all the ingredients except tamarind paste and jaggery, together in a large pot, and bring it to a boil. Let the veggies cook on medium heat.
Add the tamarind paste and jiggery and continue cooking for another 10 min. Add salt to taste.

Heat the ghee, and add the seeds one by one, followed by garlic and red chillis and hing. Take off heat, and add the curry leaves. Once the spluttering ends, add this to the pappu chaaru and mix well.

Serve with hot rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...