Jun 26, 2017

Berry Crumble


I love a good crumble, the goodness of butter and toasted flour, the sweetness of the berries underneath and the overall package of decadence, though it can all be healthy... I was reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and saw a recipe for Crumble, and bingo. What I thought was a complicated dessert was actually a very simple one.

The recipe mentioned in the book uses white flour, and more sugar. I used this recipe, developed from various sources on the internet and this worked.

I ate the crumble a day after it was baked. The tartness in the raspberries was all gone, and it was delicious.
When I do this next, I'll not be using Raspberries or blackberries, though. Both these berries have seeds in them, which change the texture of the crumble. May be just Blueberries, apple or strawberries from the next time.




Ingredients
Berries - 2C (Raspberries , Blueberries)
Sugar - 1 Tsp
Honey - 2 Tbsp


Sorghum flour - 1/2 C
Sugar - 3 Tsp
Oats - 1Tbsp, the quick cooking variety
Butter - 50 gm or half stick, cut in cubes


Instructions

Place the berries in a buttered oven proof flat dish, sprinkle sugar and drizzle honey on this. 
In a bowl, mix the flour, oats, butter and sugar together with your fingers, till it all crumbly but could also be a ball of dough. 
Sprinkle the flour on the berries and press to pack it all. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400F for 30 min. Serve warm. 


This will also stay in the fridge for a few days, and can be served either cold or warmed in a pre-heated oven for 5 min, in a grill mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...