Oct 20, 2010

Marbled Banana Chocolate Bread

 

With this, I feel arrived! Honestly! :)

After baking the Banana choco-chip cake and loving how it tasted, all I could think was to bake Marble Banana Chocolate bread. Since morning, the procedure to do it was running on my head. The visions of chocolate and banana batter mixing with each other were playing havoc with my mind! The bread wouldnt just leave me alone. I thought of it as I was tadka-dalofying to my dal, as I was driving and as I was having my breakfast. It just had to be baked! I just wasnt sure of the quantities. And earlier experiments have shown that baking without proper ingredients is not good for one’s own sanity! :)

So some search on the internet and I bumped into this recipe. What I totally loved about this recipe was that the procedure and the ingredients I had in mind were exactly these, and it can easily be adapted to be egg-less! :D

As I was baking this a sweet smell engulfed my kitchen and I wished over and over again that I should’ve been able to bottle up the fragrance and let it out later… yes, it was that awesome! Like they show in the advertisements :)

photo

So here it is, Marbled Banana Chocolate Bread -

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour(I used 1:1 ratio of whole wheat and AP flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick/2 oz/56g) butter, softened
3 Bananas. Ripe and mashed. (This should be about 1 cup)
4 tbsps yogurt (or 2 eggs)
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips(I used 100 gms of dark chocolate)

Procedure:

Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 9’x3’ bread tin.

Melt the butter just a bit by microwaving it for 30 secs. Melt the chocolate in a separate cup by microwaving it at high for 1 min, and then stir it to mix the lumps.

In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and butter. Add the mashed bananas and yogurt to this, and mix well.

Sieve the flours with the soda and salt. Add the wet mixture to this and mix it well to a batter consistency.

Take about half a cup of this batter and mix it with chocolate in a separate cup.

Pour the white batter and the chocolate batter alternatively into the bread tin. And mix them with a spoon, just once. The layers should be visible in this bread.

photo

Bake at 180C for about 75 mins. I baked it at 185C for 60 mins and at 170 for 15 mins. Check for the tester to be clean.

Cut it in slices, and serve. This bread stays better and tastes awesome when you let it in the fridge overnight. We ate it for breakfast the next morning, and absolutely loved it!

2 comments:

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...