Oct 8, 2010

Olive-Jalapeno muffins

I’ve seen some savoury muffin recipes on couple of blogs, but never got around to baking them. Somehow, the shape and perception of a muffin in my head means it had to be sweet. And so I could never imagine how a savoury muffin should be or could be. Its been on the Do-List for a while now, and yday was the day.

Last evening, the husband guy suddenly said he wanted to eat something dry, spicy and with garlic in it.He obviously forgot to add the word fried in it and I grabbed the chance. I was also intending to bake some for some friends, so I thought I’d do these.

A quick tweet to my trusted advisors(read:Fellow bakers) and N called and dictated me the recipe from the Muffin Bible.

Jalapenos, garlic and herbs weren’t part of the original recipe, but I added them to add to appeal to the husband’s palate.

IMG_5944

Ingredients:
2 tbsp yogurt
1 1/4 cup yogurt
1/2 water
2 cups flour(I mixed 1 3/4 cups of wheat with 1/4 AP flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 slices cheddar,cut into very small pieces
1/2 cup olives, de-seeded and chopped
1/2 cup Jalapenos, chopped to small pieces
1 tsp chilli flakes
some herbs like Oregano and Thyme (I added 1/2 tbsp of each)

Procedure:
1. Sieve the flour with both baking soda and baking powder and keep aside. Add herbs to this mixture.
2. Beat the yogurt till its soft and add water to it.
3. Mix yogurt with the flour mix and mix well enough.
4. Add the olives, cheddar and jalapenos to this, and mix just enough
5. Pour spoonful of this mixture into each muffin paper cup or a greased muffin mould.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven(200C) for 12 mins at 200C.
7. Check the tester and if you feel that you still need to bake it, do so at 185C for another 4 mins.

This muffin tasted awesome when served warm from the oven, but it was better when it was eaten cold. I put this in the fridge and re-heated it this morning, for breakfast and it tasted good then too.
The cheese pieces along with the tanginess of the olives and hot taste of the jalapenos just tastes brilliant, and appeals to a different section of the tongue, altogether! :)

Shared some of these with friends at work, and they seemed to like these.

5 comments:

  1. Good job. I think you successfully recreated the surface of planet Jupiter using yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am pleased to see you knowing about the existence of Jupiter. Way to go, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. Just as you know about yogurt.

    Also, check the trash cans of your coworkers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb stuff-now high time i tried a batch of savoury muffins

    ReplyDelete
  5. N, Its a shock that you still didnt try them. You should totally do that and tell me your variations :D

    V, Oh well, the trash cans of my co-workers were empty, just like your brain.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...