Jan 5, 2012

Leek + Beetroot in a soup!


Beetroot is not a favourite vegetable at all. For a long time, I tried incorporating it into the meal, hiding it in rotis, and curries, but the ever-smart husband would always identify the faint smell of beet being cooked in the house. And would refuse to eat two consecutive meals in the house.
Those were the days I was trying to please him, and so wouldn’t cook anything he wouldn’t eat, even if it is the most healthiest of foods. But with the grey hair and wisdom I’ve acquired over these years, that’s not the case anymore. Lets just say that he eats whatever is made if he knows it is healthy. No more tantrums. :)
<mush alert>
[I shot this pic as a symbolic way to represent both of us. A long mush story can follow, but I’ll save y’all from that]
</mush alert>

IMG_8724
As a part of re-introducing the vegetable back into the household, I decided to do a simple soup. It would go with the winter weather, I’d get to use the leek I bought last week, and there would be a beautiful red colour in the soup too, making it look great. [The last one is a very lame reason, and wasn’t even a factor for this soup, but what stops me from putting it up here… :-P]
Ingredients
Beetroot – 1 , chopped into small pieces
Cabbage – 1/2 cup, chopped into small pieces
Leek – 1 stalk, chopped either in round slices or inch-sized pieces
Dried mint – 1 tbsp
Dried Thyme – 1 tbsp
Ground Pepper – 1 tbsp
Salt – To taste
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Garlic – 4-5 cloves, chopped fine
Ginger – 1 inch piece, chopped fine
IMG_8719

Instructions
Pressure cook both beetroot and cabbage together. Once this cools, using a blender, mash them into a thick pulp.
In a pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic and ginger together. Add half the amount of thyme and mint to this and sauté them all together.
Add the vegetable pulp , some water, salt and pepper to the oil and bring this to a boil.
Check if this is soup consistency, and add water if required.
Garnish with the remaining thyme and mint, and serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. It's brr-ing cold here and we have beets in the garden. I can't believe that I am saying this but I can't wait to try beet soup now. Basically, I will eat anything if you cook it in olive oil and garlic. :D

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...