Jan 7, 2012

Risotto. For a change…

Last night, for once, I didn’t want to eat pasta. I wanted something else for a change. But then what to do with all the fresh zucchini and the pesto I have. I had to do something Italian, but not pasta. Some asking around on Twitter for recipe ideas (Yes, that’s in these days! :-P), and risotto, it was. That way I could also use up some of the Arborio rice I had stashed away almost an year ago.

The last time I made the risotto, I was slightly put off by the creamy texture it held. Yes, I know, its weird that I didn’t like risotto for the very taste it is known for. I had used wine and vegetable stock then, but this time I decided to do away with all that. It would be with plain hot water, and no cheese. I know this one is beginning to sound like a bit of an Indian rice preparation, but blame it on the Indian roots , I was craving for that. For some reason, cooking with zucchini and pesto and Sona Masoori rice wasn’t on, and hence the Arborio rice usage, and hence the vague resemblance to risotto. :-)

Ingredients (Serves one very generously)
Arborio rice – 1/3 cup
Zucchini – 1/2 of a medium sized one, chopped with the skin on for all the pieces
Red bell pepper – 1/2 of a medium sized one, chopped into one cm big pieces
Onion – 1 medium sized , chopped fine
Garlic cloves – 5-6, chopped very fine lengthwise
Dried Sage/Thyme – 1 tbsp, or any herb of your choice
Ground Black pepper – 1 tbsp
Sea Salt – To taste
Boiling water – 1.5 cups
Basil pesto – fresh or frozen – 1 tbsp or one ice-cube
Olive oil – 1/2 + 1/2  tbsp

IMG_8759


Instructions
In a deep pan, heat one half of the olive oil and sauté the onions and some garlic. Once they are softened, add the rice and sauté till the rice is covered with the oil. Add half a cup of the boiling water to this, mix and let it be on medium heat for 5 minutes. Once this water is absorbed by the rice, add some more water and let it be on heat for another 5 mins till this water is absorbed too. Add salt to taste. Repeat this step 4-5 times, till the quantity of rice increases, rice is cooked but still does not resemble a pulp. Once cooked, close this pan and let this rice sit for 10 mins.

Now prepare the vegetables. In another pan, heat the remaining olive oil, add the garlic and the herbs , pepper and sauté the zucchini and pepper till they are soft and cooked. Add salt to taste.

IMG_8771

Once the vegetables are prepared mix the rice with the vegetables, and swirl the pesto into this mixture at the end.

Serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. Yup! This looks really tasty.

    If you want to do risotto style preparation and not have something quite as creamy, try using pearled barley instead of arborio rice. It won't be mushy at the end, and it's healthier and cheaper, too. It will work better with earthy, autumn flavors like mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~GCK - Awesome. All the time I was thinking about using Indian Brown Boiled rice, but now that you mention it, barley is a good substitute!
    Will try this one next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Scarlett. Nice screen name too. And while i am at it, nice blog header too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Material Girl, thank you :) Your screen name is awesome too... am singing the song as I am typing this. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...