Jan 31, 2012

Mocha Choco-chip cookies

Tonight was crave-for-chocolate evening, what with me craving for chocolate and hence eating the baking chocolate chips since evening. I decided to go ahead and bake myself some cookies, something I haven't done in a long long time, because of the enormous amount of butter involved in it.
IMG_9090
I modified this recipe by Chef in You to suit my mood and taste, and baked Mocha-Choco chip cookies, with a slight coffee flavour and a lot of chocolate oozing in it. I kept the flour, soda and liquid ratio same as the one in this recipe, but I altered the ingredients to make this eggless, and to use date syrup, something which I’ve been wanting to try instead of sugar for a while now.


IMG_9093
The result was a fine, brown coloured dough dotted with chocolate chips, with a distinct taste of dates and coffee in it, which gave me a feeling of being slightly healthier and less richer than a regular chocolate chip cookie dough, nonetheless not less tastier.
IMG_9081
Ingredients
Butter – 1/4 C , at room temperature
Date Syrup – 4 Tbsp
Powdered white sugar – 1/2 C
Strong espresso – 4 Tbsp
Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
Multi Grain wheat flour – 1 1/2 C
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
White and 60% Bittersweet Ghirardelli Chocolate chips– 3/4 C
InstructionsEnsure that butter is softened. You should be able to press it down with your fingers.
Now cream this butter with the powdered sugar, and add date syrup, espresso and vanilla extract. Mix well.
Sieve together the flour, soda and salt, and add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredient mixture.
Mix just enough very softly, and gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Line on parchment paper, and bake in a pre-heated oven at 185 C for 15 mins.
Cool on a wire rack, and serve cold if they still survive :-)
IMG_9086
These cookies do not have the traditional butter-y taste in them because of the very less quantity of butter used, and the bitter-sweet choco chips dominate the coffee taste in these. Next time, I will use regular chocolate chips. Also, there is no trace of dates, and the sugar quantity is just right.
The idea is that I’ll have them tomorrow morning with milk. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...