Sep 20, 2010

Basic Whole Wheat Crackers

 

Now, I’ve been looking at cracker recipes and drooling at the photos for a while.

Also, after the recent Chocolate-Apple-Cake debacle, I needed to do something to get confidence on my baking. That was when Nandita suggested me to take a break from baking cakes and do something different. Finally yesterday, I decided to start off and bake my own crackers, something basic just to get the hang of it.

Ingredients:

1 Cup Whole wheat flour (I used Ashirwad multi grain flour mixed with bajra and ragi flour – basically my roti flour)
A pinch of salt
Some chat masala
A tsp each of Thyme and Rosemary
5-6 Tbsps of Olive oil
Half a cup of water(or as needed)

Procedure:

1. Preheat the oven for 15 mins at 200 C

2. Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients into something which would resemble the roti ka ata

3. On a rolling stone, with the help of a rolling pin, roll the dough into a perfect circle

4. Using a pizza cutter, cut the circle into diamond shapes. Alternatively, you can cut them into circles using a sharp-rimmed glass

5. Put holes all over the shape using a fork and bake these in batches in the oven

6. With the above ingredients, I had to bake the crackers in 3 batches, and each of them took me around 20 mins at 185 C. This time and temperature is highly dependent on the make and model of the oven.

7. Bake till you can break one cracker and feel the crispiness in it. Or till the color turns a good golden brown.
8. Eat at tea-time or during the day, like how I did! Smile

58369_427715148363_694543363_5181663_1362613_n

What I loved the most about these crackers is that they are absolutely healthy with nothing except Wheat flour in them, and the fragrance of the herbs used also added to the pleasure!

Variations:

I was thinking that the next time I bake these, I’d add some butter to make them a little softer and add other herbs like some oregano or sage . I was also thinking about adding some pesto next time to get some basil flavour, or see if I can add some hummus to this to up the protein content. Since this is a basic recipe for crackers, I guess one can experiment as much as they want with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...