Sep 2, 2010

Risotto. First time ever!


The first ever time I ate Risotto was at N’s place, when she called me over for dinner. I loved the texture and the taste of the dish so much. And my love for all things Italian(;-)) told me that I should try this one for sure.
For days, I searched the markets for Arborio rice and finally I found it in QMart. I also bought some Zucchini to try and make some salad. So I thought, Would there be a recipe for Zucchini Risotto? I browsed for a while, and got a couple of links. All of them with some meat ingredient. So I adapted this recipe from various links I got, and of course from my conversation with N the night I ate there.
Ingredients:
1 cup Arborio rice (Some recipes say you can use Indian brown rice also, but I am yet to try that)
3 tbsps Olive Oil
2-3 crushed garlic cloves
1 cup white wine
1 zucchini, cut into longish pieces
3 cups of vegetable stock (I made my own stock by boiling some veggies in water, and saving the water)
Some herbs like Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary
Salt & pepper to taste
Procedure:
Heat the olive oil in a pan, and saute the garlic cloves and herbs in it.
Add the zucchini pieces and saute for some more time. Now add the rice, and saute till the rice is covered in olive oil.
Pour the wine into the rice. Stir continuously till the wine is absorbed. After the wine is totally absorbed, pour one cup stock and stir more.
After the stock is absorbed again, pour one more cup and stir. Repeat the exercise till all the stock is used up, and the rice assumes a very creamy soft texture. If the stock is not enough for the rice, use some more stock. The idea is to cook the rice al dente.
Check the taste and sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste.
If you have some more wine left, pour it into glasses, and drink it along with the meal.

Now, I liked the taste of this dish, but the creamy texture is something I am yet to get used to . As of now, I am looking out for other recipes using the Arborio rice, so I can experiment them all. Next version of Risotto would have to wait for a while.

2 comments:

  1. congratulations on the blog babe.... i didnt even know you were writing this! way to go... foodblogging is fun...and makes you a lot of like minded friends! welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you are one of the inspirations for me to start blogging abt food, right? :)
    Thanks for the warm welcome :D

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...