Sep 23, 2010

Coffee cinnamon cake with walnuts

 

Its been a very very busy day, with me not having time to even have my lunch. Well, lets just say that I didn’t realize it was 1:30PM till a friend called me for a coffee. And all day long, all I could think was that I would come  home and bake a cake and of course, listen to CokeStudio, Zeb and Haniya in particular.

Now, there is more than one occasion. P, a colleague at work didn’t get to eat the nutmeg cake that I baked, and she wanted me to bake a chocolate cake for her. I convinced her to agree to the walnut coffee cake, and somehow she agreed. Also, FIL was returning from his travel and he loves anything sweet. So, I thought I will use this chance and bake something, for him and for P too.

A search of recipes led me to this one on ChefInYou, but I was not very sure I wanted to bake the cake this way. So instead, I drew inspiration from the ingredients, and made my own recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup AP flour(since both FIL and P like taste more than health, I decided to give the wheat flour a skip this time)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp dark choco chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
A pinch of salt

2 tbsps yogurt (you can substitute this with one egg, but I honestly dont know whats the difference)
2 tbsps strong black coffee
1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar(I used regular sugar, but you can powder it too)
1/4 cup milk(if required)
1 tsp ground cinnamon powder

Procedure:
Preheat the oven to 200C and meanwhile, gather the ingredients.
1. Whisk butter and sugar in a bowl, and add yogurt and coffee to it. Whisk them all together. Mix in the Cinnamon powder too
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together along with the chopped walnuts and the choco chips
3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients in a bowl, but do not overmix them
4. Pour in a aluminium foil box or greased cake tin
5. Bake for 30 mins at 185C
6. Decorate with powdered sugar if you want
7. Let the cake cool and dig in

23092010153

The cake tasted pretty neat, but I figured out quickly that even coffee cake does not appeal to my palate. FIL liked the cake, and so did the husband though he said this certainly loses as compared to the nutmeg cake. :)

Update: Folks at work also liked it! Awesome!

5 comments:

  1. Coffee cakes are awesome, inspite of being butter intensive! And next time try them with berries, if you get a chance. Its a different dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Berries.... hmmm... That sounds tasty to me. Should try if I get any berries here in India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always liked Coffee Cake, will def try yours out too..
    Vandana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw Boomer's pictures , he looks a lot like my Sophie...She is a lab mixed with a German Shepherd...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Vandana, thanks for stopping by.
    So this Sophie kid, do you have pics of hers? Lab and German Shepherd is interesting .. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...