Sep 11, 2010

Vanilla Chocolate muffins

 

U and her husband, great friends of ours invited us over for breakfast to their house. We love going over and feasting on on the awesome dishes she cooks for us, but this time I decided to not be shameless and bake something for them. Particularly after S, U’s husband loved the apple muffins I made for them last weekend, I didn’t want to miss out on an opportunity to get some more wows :)

Nandita had suggested that I bake some awesome fruit buns for them but because we worked late on Friday, I could not pick up Tutty Fruity without which there would’ve been no point in making them. I quickly browsed for some good muffin recipes given the limited range of ingredients I had at hand, and landed at Arundati’s awesome cupcakes and this . Since I was well aware of the limited time I had at hand, and my ability to decorate something, I decided to go with the simpler version of these recipes.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature

2/3 cup dermerra sugar

6 tbsp thick yogurt

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (maida)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup milk

I Bournville bar(chopped into small pieces for garnishing)

Procedure:

Mix all the dry ingredients and set the oven to preheat till 200C

Whisk all the wet ingredients till they form into a smooth thick liquid and add this to the dry ingredients. Mix well, but do not beat the batter.

Pour this batter into a well greased muffin tray or into the muffin paper cups.

Sprinkle or place the Bournville pieces in the muffin batter.

Bake for 20 mins at 185C or till a tester comes out clean.

46864_424432238363_694543363_5109440_537021_n

Dig in the minute it comes out of the oven. :)

Well, I used Bournville as a substitute for the choco chips. The next day, I got some choco chips from QMart, and since we had a friend visiting, I baked these muffins again with choco chips. But I did not enjoy them as much as I did the earlier ones, ie., the ones which had Bournville. THe chocolate had nicely melted and had spread the flavor to the batter, and when it cooked, it was still soft. This, I feel gave the whole muffin a very nice distinct taste which lacked when I used choco chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...