Sep 6, 2010

The whole pasta story

 

After all the eating we did yday, I had no patience to enter the kitchen anymore. The cook had come early in the morning and made methi parathas for lunch for both of us, and also some breakfast. All we did the whole day was to laze around, read books and watch a bit of TV and of course, fight over who gets to sit in the bay window. Only in the evening did I realize that I had not planned anything for dinner and that S, the husband guy, would soon start complaining of how loud his stomach is rumbling. I had to quickly think of what to do, and thats when it struck to me that I had a big bowl of veggies lying in the freezer, the ones that I could not bake into the au gratin. And the next thing I thought of was Pasta! Yaay! :)

Yes, pasta is my favourite dish to eat or to cook. My love affair with pasta started when we started dining at Little Italy, and I would always order for a pasta and S would ask for his favourite Siciliano Pizza. Then I gave the whole dish a thought and figured out I could probably cook it at home too. Thats how my journey with pasta started. I used to make pasta using the Barilla readymade pasta sauces. Then the health-food trip in life started and I could smell the artificial ingredients through the sauce. The pasta would be all wheat based or organic and the sauce would be artificial. Uuuugghhhh!

Some more serious thought and I decided to just make my own sauces. White sauce was always out of the question, coz we both never really liked it, the color and its texture. Red sauce it had to be then.

I am still not sure how different or same my pasta recipe is from the others, but for a long time, I would only cook one type of pasta, almost every weekend. Pasta with whole lot of veggies sauted in olive oil, boiled in mashed tomatoes and some Italian herbs for garnishing. It tastes great, is very healthy and that was what mattered to me.

Father-in-law and the husband vouched for its taste but guess somewhere down the line, I got tired of making the same pasta and my palate started asking for more. That was when i discovered this very awesome tasting and healthy pasta recipe on SaffronTrail. So that was it for some more days, till one day when S told me that now he is tired of the same recipe.

So with the box full of sauted veggies in my freezer and a bottle full of homemade basil pesto sauce in my fridge, I decided to cook something which would replicate the taste of basil pesto pasta I ate at Sweet Nirvana the other day. That was how my other pasta recipe was born.

I just sauted the veggies more, put in two dollops of basil pesto sauce in it, and sauted it for 2 mins. Added the cooked fusilli to the mixture, and voila, our dinner was ready.

It didnt exactly taste like the one I ate in Sweet Nirvana, but S loved it so much that he called this my best ever pasta. Now, thats enough for me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...