Sep 15, 2010

Chocolate Apple cake

 

Mother-in-law was visiting and I wanted to bake something nice and special for her. Okay, that’s just a pretence. I had been dying to bake a cake for a while, after all those successful attempts at muffins and the wows I got for them. I was thinking cakes wouldn’t be much different from muffins, and I would do great at them too. Also, at the Landmark book sale, I picked up this nice little book on Home Baking which had some great recipes for muffins and savoury bakes.

I opened the book and the baked the first recipe I bumped into. Well, not exactly the first, coz the first one turned out to be yet another muffin, albeit a very interesting one. But remember, I wanted to bake a cake, no more muffins, since I had graduated the Muffin class :)

I closed the book and when I reopened it, I saw a very beautiful pic of Individual Chocolate apple cakes. Now, this recipe is for individual cakes, but I didnt have the patience to lay the muffin tray, and so baked the whole dough into one cake.

20092010146

Given above is the original pic given in the recipe book, and the recipe is as below -

Ingredients:

150gm butter

1/4 cup sugar (I used dermerra sugar)

3 eggs (I used 6 tbsps of thick yogurt)

2 cups plain flour(Again, I substituted this for whole wheat flour)

1/4 cup cocoa

3 tsps baking powder

560 gm canned apple pieces (I used one full apple finely chopped)

Procedure:

1. Preheat the oven till 180C

2. Melt butter in a saucepan on low flame, and beat in yogurt(or eggs) and sugar into it.

3. Sift the dry ingredients together and mix in the wet ingredients into this. Do not beat it, but mix it gently

4. Pour one layer into the greased muffin tray , top it with apple pieces and pour more batter into it. Since I decided to make the cake, I poured one layer of dough, one layer of apple pieces and another layer of dough, all in one baking dish

5. Bake for 15-20 mins at 180C or till the tester comes out clean. I had to bake this for 30 mins, may be because of the thickness of the dough and the wattage of my oven

61220_426413338363_694543363_5155203_2395938_n

We ate it with vanilla ice-cream, but I bet it would be awesome eaten with Baileys. In spite of everyone liking the taste of this cake, I did not quite enjoy it, may be because of my wearing fascination on chocolate cakes. I had recently baked a bunch of chocolate muffins without checking any recipe book, which turned out awesome too, but I guess I grew out of chocolate based bakes. I secretly took a vow to not try any more chocolate based ones, and move on to other flavored cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...