Aug 14, 2013

Beet, pea & cottage cheese salad

Yet another beet-based salad, but with a different dressing , as usual.

Beet, peas & cottage cheese salad

Yes, I had an overload of beetroots delivered to me last week and I had no other option but to use them in my salads.

As mentioned before, this time again, the dressing is the novelty. I desired the crunch of the mustard seeds and chose to go with the yellow mustard seeds. If you do not find these in your grocery store, please replace this with the black mustard by all means, but use it for sure in this recipe.

Dijon Mustard & Mustard dressing

The bland taste of the peas and the cottage cheese is offset beautifully by the mustard taste and that is what I loved in this recipe!

Blanched peas

What started as a nose-wrinkling start to the relationship between me and the beets has turned out into a grudging respect now… I must admit that I like this vegetable in salads!

Beet, peas & cottage cheese salad

Beet, pea & cottage cheese salad
Preparation time – 15 min
Level – Easy

Ingredients
Beetroot - 1 C, cut into pieces
Peas - 1/2 C
Cottage cheese - 1/2 C

Dressing
Dijon mustard - 1 Tbsp
Yellow mustard seeds - 1 Tsp
Rice wine vinegar - 1/2 Tbsp
Olive oil - 1/2 Tbsp
Dill - 1 Tbsp, chopped [Alternatively use equal quantity of dried dill]
Salt - to taste
Black Pepper - to taste, ground

Instructions
Microwave the beetroot pieces for 2-3 min
Blanch peas and shock in cold water. If using frozen peas, thaw first.
Cut cottage cheese into cubes. If using frozen cottage cheese, thaw first.
Prepare the dressing by whisking the dressing ingredients together.

Serve the vegetables by pouring the dressing over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...