Aug 11, 2013

Peppers, Peas & Tofu Salad

Bell peppers are every salad maker’s fall-back option! You can never go wrong with these, they taste great no matter how they are cooked and go well with literally everything!

Peppers, pea & Tofu salad

And that is why I decided to pair these up with some radical vegetables and protein! :-)

Tofu grilled with honey and chilli flakes

I decided to grill the tofu separately with a dressing of its own so that it gives a different taste with a every bite, a flavour not used in the dressing of the main salad.

Peppers, peas and radish

As for the bell peppers, since they go well with almost anything, I decided to use peas and radish with them. Well, I had to eat at least 3 different vegetables per salad and I knew I couldn’t go wrong with this option. And I was right!

Peppers, peas and radish

The peppers tasted better grilled, the taste of the radish almost was non-existent and the peas were shrunk in size, all of them making the peppers the hero of the dish!

Peppers, pea & Tofu salad

Peppers, Peas & Tofu Salad
Preparation time – 15 min
Cooking time – 25 min
Level – Easy

Ingredients
Bell peppers - 3, cut in squares [I used all three colors]
Green peas - 1/2 C
Radish - 1, medium sized, peeled, cut in squares
Tofu - 1/2 C, cut in cubes
Honey - 2 Tbsp
Chilli flakes - 1 Tbsp
Salt - To taste , optional

Dressing
Soya sauce - 1 Tbsp
Rice wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
Salt - To taste
Five spice powder - 1 Tsp
Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tsp

Instructions
Mix honey with chilli flakes  and salt. Brush this on the tofu and grill this separately for 5-10 min
Mix all the dressing ingredients together.
Toss the peppers, peas and radish with the dressing and grill this in a wide plate for 10 min.
Plate up the grilled peppers with the tofu and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a perfect side dish or as a topping on flavored rice (coconut or confetti). I love the 5 spice powder... it is one of my favorite spices in Asian cuisine. Have you ever made a toasted coconut rice? It's so hard to attain a perfect coconut flavor (I tried them at an Indian restaurants in Malaysia & they were soooo good!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tried toasted coconut rice. Coconut is an essential ingredient for the Konkan cuisine, but I don't think we make the toasted variety. Let me check in my family and get back to you... may be there is a great recipe lurking out there!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...