Aug 28, 2013

Bell peppers in a garlic and oregano dressing

A full month of salads only and I still haven’t gotten over bell peppers. I’ve grilled them, toasted them and baked them and loved in them in every format.

Bell pepper salad with garlic and oregano dressing

And the dressing ideas just keep coming… just when I think I am done with all the dressings that I can think of, this one just came to my mind. I was going through my herb cupboard (yes, I have one ;-)) and realized that I hadn’t used the Oregano at all. Neither did Thyme and Sage make an appearance. Well, they are for another day, but Oregano and Garlic are today’s heroes.

garlic and oregano dressing

I also used Sumac to give the tart taste and the acidity because I wasn’t using lemon juice. And to make sure that the dressing has it all, I added salt and red chilli flakes to it. Thus formed a full bodied salad dressing.

Bell pepper salad with garlic and oregano dressing

To up the protein quotient and to satisfy my grumbling stomach, I topped this salad with cheese, but you can skip it altogether, and increase the quantity of the legumes instead.

Bell pepper salad with garlic and oregano dressing

Bell peppers salad with Garlic and Oregano dressing
Preparation time – 15 min
Grilling time – 15 min
Level – Medium
Serves – 1

Ingredients
Bell peppers – 1 each of green, red and yellow, cut in inch-sized pieces
Mozzarella cheese cubes – 1/4 C
Black beans or Chana – 1/2 C, soaked in water overnight and pressure cooked

For the dressing
Olive oil – 1 Tbsp
Garlic – 5-6 cloves, cut in fine pieces
Oregano – 2 Tsp
Salt – to taste
Red chilli flakes – to taste
Sumac powder – 1 Tsp

Instructions
Mix all the dressing ingredients together and keep aside.
Spread the cut bell peppers and the black beans on a grilling sheet. Pour 3/4th of the dressing on the veggies and grill for 10 min.
Take the sheet outside, sprinkle the cheese cubes on the veggies and pour the rest of the dressing on the cheese cubes. Grill for another 5 min.

Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...