Aug 5, 2013

Sichuan slaw

Many traditional Indian salad recipes use grated carrots. This is the reason why I wasn’t really sure if I wanted to add it to my Salad month. After all, I’ve grown up eating grated carrots tempered with Hing and mustard.

Sichuan Slaw

That is why, when I bumped into this recipe on NYTimes, I jumped and picked it up. There is something very Asian and non-Indian about this dressing that I totally loved.

Sichuan Slaw

Sichuan Slaw

Sichuan slaw
Preparation time – 15 min
Serves – 1

Ingredients
Salad
Carrots – 2, grated
Iceberg lettuce – a couple of leaves, shredded
Mixed sprouts – 1/2 C
Thai basil leaves – a couple
Coriander leaves – diced fine, a handful, optional
Mint – minced, a handful, optional

Dressing
Soya sauce – 1 Tbsp
Green chilli – 1, finely chopped
Sugar – 1 Tsp
Salt – to taste

Crunchy
Peanuts – roasted and de-skinned, 1/4 C

Instructions
Toss all the salad ingredients together.
Mix the dressing ingredients and keep aside.
Pour the dressing over the salad right before serving.

4 comments:

  1. oh! so easy to do! looks so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I looked at the title of the recipe, I thought you meant Sichuan peppercorns-based salad, which sounds pretty good, however your dressing sounds tasty, including the herbs, which makes me think more of laap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.. I don't know what laap is, but yes, this dressing is what makes the salad different! :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you... know if you liked the recipes, photographs or if you plain vanilla want to talk to me...